!!!APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED!!! We're looking to recruit up to 4 residential volunteers for the spring season.
02 January 2024
Position: Spurn Bird Observatory Residential Spring Volunteer
Location: Spurn Bird Observatory, East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Duration: Spring Season (17th March until 11th June)
About Spurn Bird Observatory:
Spurn Bird Observatory is a renowned location for birdwatching and conservation situated in an area of great ecological significance. The observatory focuses on monitoring, recording, and conserving birds and their habitats, providing valuable data for research and conservation efforts.
The Residential Spring Volunteer will play a crucial role in supporting the daily operations and activities at Spurn Bird Observatory during the vibrant spring season. Volunteers will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the rich biodiversity of the area while contributing to various conservation and observatory tasks, including daily point count surveys, Breeding Bird Surveys, Wetland Bird Surveys, as well as practical work maintaining and cleaning the Observatory accommodation, and upkeep of the Observatories assets.
- Assisting with bird surveys, observation, and data collection during migration periods - leading on the implementation of daily point count surveys.
- Participating in habitat maintenance, including pathway upkeep, and habitat restoration projects.
- Engaging with visitors, providing information about the observatory, its mission, and the importance of conservation efforts.
- Assisting with the maintenance and cleaning of Observatory facilities, accommodation and grounds, ensuring a welcoming and functional environment for guests and researchers.
- Contributing to educational programs or events hosted by the observatory, sharing knowledge about local avian species and conservation practices, such as guided walks.
- Passion for wildlife conservation and a keen interest in ornithology.
- Excellent bird identification skills using sight and sound.
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions and terrain.
- Good communication skills and a friendly, approachable demeanour for engaging with visitors and fellow volunteers.
- Willingness to learn and follow protocols for data collection and conservation practices.
- Flexibility and adaptability to contribute effectively within a team environment.
- Have a can-do attitude.
- Accommodation provided within the observatory premises.
- Reasonable food and travel expenses.
- Hands-on experience in structured and unstructured bird monitoring techniques, conservation practices, and habitat management.
- Opportunities for networking and learning from experienced ornithologists and conservationists.
- Immersion in a unique natural setting and the chance to witness diverse bird species during migration.
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position. Volunteers will receive training, accommodation, food and travel expenses, and the invaluable experience of contributing to conservation efforts at Spurn Bird Observatory.
How to Apply:
Closing date for receipt of applications is 23:59 on Sunday 18 February and interviews will be held virtually week commencing Monday 19 February. If you have any questions, please contact Rob Hunton, Observatory Manager, at email@example.com
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter outlining your interest in the position and relevant experience to Rob Hunton, Observatory Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring & Autumn Residential Volunteers
29 February 2024
We still have a couple of spaces available in both Spring and Autumn for residential volunteers.Read more
Project Kew Villa – Update
26 January 2024
We thought you might want to see some of the developments at Kew Villa since we started work on the rebuild in October!Read more