If you would like to help support the work of the observatory then please get in touch.
Download a membership form and become a friend of Spurn Bird Observatory.
Spurn Bird Observatory Trust Ltd. are pleased to announce the formation of a formal Friendship Agreement between ourselves and Cape May and Falsterbo Bird Observatory. This we believe is the first of its kind in the UK where we intend to promote international relationships and share best practice across the globe to further the cause of environmental awareness around the world.
Our respective members will benefit from the arrangement through special discounts to encourage inter observatory visits to raise the awareness of bird migration on an international scale. Please see below our unique and very powerful agreement that will serve to put Spurn firmly on the international radar and assist in securing the observatory rating in the premier league.
“BENEFITS FOR FRIENDS, MEMBERS & SUPPORTERS OF THE FRIENDSHIP AGREEMENT
The Friendship Agreement between our respective observatories enables certain mutual benefits to be enjoyed by:
- Friends of Spurn
- Members of New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory and
- ‘Supporters’ of Falsterbo Bird Observatory.
The main mutual benefits are set out below.
1. Support and advice prior to and during a visit to one of the Friendship observatories:
- information in advance of a visit to assist with accommodation, recommended birding locations, recent bird sightings and scheduling of events which may be of interest
- a personal meet and greet arrangement on arrival with a key member of observatory staff to assist in briefing visiting Friends, Members and Supporters about matters of interest relating to their visit – birding privileges such as access to areas reserved for Friends, Members and Supporters
- a guided tour of the observatory main buildings, subject to warden/staff availability
- to observe a ringing/banding session or other research project work
- expert advice on birding identification, weather conditions for migration etc
2. Newsletter information
- a summary of the birding highlights and other interesting information to be produced seasonally/ annually, for circulation to Friends/Members/Supporters via observatory newsletters.
- certain discounts may be available periodically to Friends, Members and Supporters for the respective Observatories’ products and services
- these would be made known either prior to or during a visit; initial enquiries via the “International Friendship Representatives” for the observatory being visited (see below)
Any Friend, Member or Supporter intending to visit one of the other observatories and wanting to take advantage of any the mutual benefits described above, should first make contact with the “International Friendship Representative” for the observatory being visited, as listed below.
For New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory, please contact the Program Registrar, Jessica Schera
For Falsterbo Bird Observatory, please contact Björn Malmhagen
For Spurn Bird Observatory, please contact Nick Whitehouse